Welcome to Thornhill
Contact a Thornhill Neighborhood Expert Today
A neighborhood built around a nature preserve, which is also within walking distance of some of Charlotte’s top shops and restaurants. Easy access to major roadways, excellent public schools and business opportunities, and all of the city’s favorite attractions. Welcome to Thornhill.
Tucked away in the Ballantyne area, just south of Interstate 485, Thornhill is one of South Charlotte’s most popular and thriving neighborhoods. Built during the 1990s, the community immediately became a hotspot for families with young children, as well as professionals looking for a relaxing place to live away from the city without moving too far. Neighbors quickly became friends, and Thornhill also became one of Charlotte’s most social neighborhoods, which it remains today. It has its own active homeowners’ association, as well as the Thornhill Women’s Association which hosts everything from annual holiday events and bazaars to clubs, parties, and dinners.
Thornhill has its own swimming pool, a popular gathering spot during the summer, as well as a beautiful and well-maintained pavilion and grilling area. There is also a playground, tennis court, and basketball court. One of the community’s two entrances is directly across the street from shopping, dining, and entertainment at Stonecrest at Piper Glen, and you may see your neighbors walking to dinner or to catch a movie on a warm Carolina evening. There is also a beautiful, historic 22-acre nature preserve in the midst of the community, which provides residents with a quiet place to get away from it all. While the community may seem like your own private oasis, Uptown and all of Charlotte’s top employers are just a quick commute away.
Thornhill may only be a few decades old, but the land on which it sits is much older. Legend has it that the rock formations inside the Big Rock Nature Preserve served as a meeting spot for Native Americans many centuries ago.
Charlotte itself, aka the Queen City, dates back to 1768 when it was founded by European settlers and named for England’s Queen Charlotte, the wife of King George III. It started as a largely agricultural community, but in 1799, a young boy discovered a 17-pound gold rock in the area. This led to the nation’s first official gold rush. The search was short-lived, and those who did not head west to seek gold in California stuck around and planted crops like cotton and tobacco. After the Civil War, Charlotte became one of the world’s top producers of textiles, thanks to the development of the city’s railroad system. By the 1970s, the city found a new identity as a financial center. As banks and other large companies set up headquarters here, the population began to grow. Today, Charlotte is one of the fastest-growing cities in the country, as well as the second-largest banking and finance hub behind New York City.
- Population: 950
- Students who live in Thornhill will attend Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools.
- According to Site Selection magazine, Charlotte has the number one business climate in the United States.
- Residents have access to some of Charlotte’s top employers, including Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Carolinas Healthcare System, Lowe’s, Novant Health, and American Airlines.
- Twice a month, the Thornhill HOA publishes the Thornhill Reporter, a newsletter that informs residents of what is happening in the neighborhood, upcoming social events, and general news for the Ballantyne area.
- Thornhill is an extremely active community with its HOA and women’s association. It also features a book club, bunko games, play groups for young children, and a swim team, the Thornhill Tornadoes.
Thornhill may feel like a quiet, tranquil getaway, but step outside its boundaries, and you are just minutes from practically everywhere in Charlotte. Interstate 485 and other nearby major roadways serve as a gateway into Uptown, where you will find everything from professional sports stadiums to world-renowned museums, restaurants, and entertainment facilities. Both Lakes Norman and Wyle are less than an hour away for a weekend getaway and outdoor fun, as are attractions like Carowinds and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. However, Thornhill residents have plenty of attractions right in their own backyard, with golf courses, shopping malls, restaurants, movie theaters, and parks all 5 minutes or less from the neighborhood.
- The Flying Biscuit Café – This unique breakfast restaurant is a Southern staple, with locations in Georgia, Florida, and North Carolina, including this one at Stonecrest. Located within walking distance of Thornhill, residents can enjoy their favorite morning meal all day long, with items on the menu like pancakes, oatmeal, breakfast bowls, French toast, and, of course, flying biscuits.
- Kabob Grill – Also located within walking distance is the casual Mediterranean restaurant, Kabob Grill. Whether you dine in, take out, or order food for delivery, you will fall in love with the eatery’s extensive menu. Dishes available include lamb burgers, skewers, kabobs, hummus dips, soups, salads, and more.
- Cantina 1511 – Whether you are looking for delicious Mexican cuisine or a night out on the town, Cantina 1511 is the place to go for Thornhill residents. The unique restaurant serves classic dishes with a modern twist, and, of course, out-of-this-world margaritas
- Lure Oyster Bar – Another great place for date night is the nearby Lure Oyster Bar. Whether you sit on the heated patio or inside at the bar, you will find that the cocktails are delicious and the unique menu is to die for. Expect plenty of fresh seafood, including the main attraction, oysters.
- Hawthorne’s Pizza – When pizza night rolls around, skip the big national chains and stay local with Hawthorne’s. Open for over 10 years with 7 locations in North Carolina, the restaurant serves New York-style pizza in a warm and inviting setting. Other items on the menu include salads, pasta, other Italian dishes, sandwiches, and Stromboli.
- Airports – Thornhill is just 20 miles from one of the busiest airports in the country, Charlotte Douglas International Airport. Each day, it handles around 675 daily departures with service to over 150 destinations.
- Public Transportation – Bus service is available in the Thornhill area, along Rea Road, thanks to the Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS). There is a park and ride area at the nearby St. Matthews Catholic Church.
- Major Roads and Interstates – Thornhill is surrounded by some of Charlotte’s major roads. Interstate 485 forms its northern boundary, while Ballantyne Commons Parkway borders it to the south. Other nearby major roads include Rea Road to the east and North Community House Road to the west.
- Blakeney – Drive a few minutes south of Thornhill, and you will find the Blakeney shopping center. Stores here include Harris Teeter, HomeGoods, Banana Republic, Target, Talbots, Marshall’s, Victoria’s Secret, Loft, Old Navy, and Brilliant Sky Toys and Books.
- Stonecrest at Piper Glen – Thornhill residents have fallen in love with the idea that they can simply cross Elm Street and arrive at one of South Charlotte’s top shopping destinations, Stonecrest at Piper Glen. Stores here include Target, Michaels, ULTA, Starbucks, Soma, Sally Beauty Supply, Chico’s, Claire’s, fab’rik, Mattress Firm, GameStop, and Harris Teeter.
- Ballantyne Village – Head a few minutes west of Thornhill to Ballantyne Village, which is home to dozens of shops, restaurants, businesses, and services. They include Panera Bread, Mellow Mushroom, Burger 21, Abraham Joseph Fine Jewelers, Nouveaux, The Cheeky Bean, Verizon, FedEx, Massage Envy & Spa, and 3H Shoppes.
Entertainment, Nightlife & Things To Do
- William R. Davie Regional Park – Looking for a place to spend a Saturday afternoon with the family? Look no further than William R. Davie Regional Park. The 107-acre facility features a dog park, a basketball court, 4 softball fields, 2 soccer fields, a volleyball court, horseshoe pits, picnic shelters, a pond, walking trails, playgrounds, and more. It is just a few minutes north of Thornhill.
- Big Rock Nature Preserve – The 22-acre Big Rock Nature Preserve is located inside the Thornhill community. Residents have created trails within the preserve for walking, jogging, and observing wildlife.
- Golf Club at Ballantyne – Just to the west of Thornhill is the Golf Club at Ballantyne. The 18-hole, par 71 public course is available year-round with reservations available up to 30 days in advance. It also features a driving range, golf pro shop, putting green, and event lawns.
- Regal Cinemas Stonecrest at Piper Glen 22 & IMAX – The Regal Cinemas Stonecrest at Piper Glen theater is just across the street — within walking distance — of Thornhill. The large theater features 22 screens that show the latest movies out of Hollywood, as well as an IMAX screen.
- Carowinds – Thornhill is just 10 miles from North Carolina’s favorite amusement park, Carowinds. Enjoy thrill rides, family rides, a water park, Planet Snoopy, a Dinosaurs Alive exhibit, dining, and live shows.
Real Estate Information
There are over 430 beautiful homes in the Thornhill neighborhood, most of which were built during the early to mid-1990s. They range from around 1,500 to just over 4,000 square feet and prices fall within the $175,000 to $400,000 range. Do not expect a cookie cutter neighborhood. Each house is unique. You may find a traditional two-story brick residence next to a beautiful Southern home with a big rocking chair front porch. Homes sit on well-kept lots with wooded backdrops, along tree-lined streets. Sidewalks meander throughout the community’s natural setting.
Homes for Sale in Thornill
Subdivision: ThornhillView Details
Subdivision: ThornhillView Details
Subdivision: ThornhillView Details
Subdivision: ThornhillView Details
The data relating to real estate on this website derive in part from the CarolinaMLS Internet Data Exchange program. Brokers make an effort to deliver accurate information, but buyers should independently verify any information on which they will rely in a transaction. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. Neither this website nor any listing broker shall be responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, or misprints, and they shall be held totally harmless from any damages arising from reliance upon this data. This data is provided exclusively for consumers' personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties they may be interested in purchasing. © 2018 CarolinaMLS