Welcome to Cameron Wood
Contact a Cameron Wood Neighborhood Expert Today
The Cameron Wood neighborhood in South Charlotte may have one of the best locations in the entire city. Despite its quiet established streets and charming two-story homes, many of which sit on peaceful cul-de-sacs, it is just minutes from major roadways like Interstate 485, some of Charlotte’s favorite country clubs, and dozens of shopping centers, restaurants, and parks. It is also just 10 miles south of Uptown Charlotte’s entertainment and career opportunities.
You will find big back yards in this family-friendly neighborhood, along with some of the city’s top-rated schools. As a matter of fact, some homes are even within walking distance of the local elementary, middle, and high school. Residents also organize a number of fun children’s activities throughout the year.
Cameron Wood sits on 386 acres of what was once a hunting preserve with a tranquil pond in the center. There are just over 800 homes within the five villages that make up the community, and an active homeowners’ association unites them. Throughout the year, neighbors gather for social activities and neighborhood improvement projects. You might also bump into your neighbors at the community clubhouse, the pool, the playground, the ballfield, or the two lighted tennis courts located in the community.
Cameron Wood started out as farmland and was later a large hunting preserve owned by the Belks, one of Charlotte’s most prestigious families. Eventually, the family wanted to use the land to build a shopping center, but they preferred a place closer to the center of town. They eventually traded the property with the Harris family who sold it to a real estate development company. The neighborhood’s first homes began being constructed in 1986. The neighborhood was completed 14 years later in 2000. Today, it is one of the largest planned communities in Mecklenburg County.
- Population: 2,500
- Cameron Wood has a busy homeowners’ association that handles events like its annual neighborhood Oktoberfest, some neighborhood landscaping, bi-monthly newsletters, directories, a welcome team, and a neighborhood alert system.
- A one-acre pond sits in the middle of Cameron Wood. It was once used as a horse and cattle watering hole, and the largest smallmouth bass in North Carolina was once caught here. The neighborhood also backs up to McMullen Creek.
- Cameron Wood has its own swim team! The Cameron Wood Sharks are part of the Greater Charlotte Swim League.
- Most homes in the community are five minutes from Carolinas HealthCare System Pineville.
- The closest libraries to Cameron Wood are South County Regional and Morrison Regional. Both are part of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Library System.
- Residents also have access to some of Charlotte’s top employers, including Carolinas HealthCare, Wells Fargo, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools, Lowe’s, Bank of America, American Airlines, and Duke Energy.
Some South Charlotte communities can feel as if they are a world away from Uptown, but Cameron Wood has the luxury of being a little closer to the excitement. From the NASCAR Hall of Fame and Bank of America Stadium to Discovery Place and Time Warner Cable Arena, you will find unlimited opportunities just 10 miles north of the community. However, there is still plenty to do even closer to home, especially when it comes to shopping and dining. It will take you a year or more to try all of the wonderful restaurants in the area.
- Ilios Noche Quail Co – A popular spot for Cameron Wood residents, Ilios Noche serves up delicious Greek, Italian and Mediterranean cuisine. Enjoy amazing lamb burgers, risotto, pizza, grilled octopus, and cocktails. Dine inside the large dining room, at the bar, or out on the heated patio.
- Viet-Thai Noodle House – Viet-Thai Noodle House may be small, but it offers plenty of big Asian flavors. A favorite in the area for over a decade, the highly-reviewed restaurant offers a selection of appetizers, along with full Thai and Vietnamese menus.
- Tin Tin – When you come to Tin Tin, bring your appetite, because some people say it is one of the best buffets in Charlotte. Enjoy fresh seafood, a noodle bar, American Chinese dishes, Cantonese cuisine, Sushi, and plenty of decadent desserts.
- DD Peckers – Every community needs a neighborhood wing joint, and for Cameron Wood, it may be DD Peckers. Open daily until midnight since 2002; the restaurant has become a favorite for not just chicken wings, but fried pickles, onions rings, burgers, and cold beer. Come kick back and enjoy a meal and a Carolina Panthers football game on a Sunday evening.
- Chaupaati – A quiet, laid-back atmosphere, above and beyond friendly service, and some of the best Indian cuisine in South Charlotte are just a few of the reasons why residents love to visit Chaupaati. Everyone who works here is from Southeast Asia and is considered an expert on cuisine from the region, which makes the experience even more enjoyable.
- Airports – Cameron Wood is just under 14 miles southeast of Charlotte Douglas International Airport. An American Airlines hub, it is one of the busiest airports in the country.
- CATS – The Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS) offers bus service to the area via Park Road.
- Major Roads and Interstates – Park Road forms the western border of Cameron Wood, while Pineville-Matthews Road is just to the south of the neighborhood. Interstate 485 runs just southwest of the area.
- Quail Corners Shopping Center – Located within walking distance of Cameron Wood, at the intersection of Sharon and Park Roads, Quail Corners Shopping Center is a popular spot for locals to stock up on groceries, grab takeout, or run a few errands. Stores, restaurants, and businesses here include Harris Teeter, Rite Aid, Divine Consign, Rusty’s, The UPS Store, Hallmark, Ilios Noche, Domino’s, and TCBY.
- Carolina Place Mall – Carolina Place Mall is just a quick drive from Cameron Wood. Here you will find stores like JCPenney, Barnes & Noble, Dillard’s, Belk, Macy’s, H&M, Forever 21, Bath and Body Works, REI, Sears, and Express.
- SouthPark Mall – When it comes to luxury shopping, SouthPark Mall is one of the most sought-after places in the Southeast, and Cameron Wood is just under four miles away. From your favorite department stores to some of the top names in world fashion, SouthPark is home to Tiffany, Belk, Tory Burch, Pottery Barn, Lego, Sephora, Old Navy, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Michael Kors, Hermes, Louis Vuitton, Macy’s, Apple, Burberry, Coach and American Girl.
Entertainment, Nightlife & Things To Do
- Quail Hollow Country Club – Cameron Wood is surrounded by top notch golf and country clubs, but it backs right up to Quail Hollow. The exclusive, private club features a course designed by George Cobb in 1961, and it has since undergone several improvements.
- Flour Power Kids Cooking Studios – If you have a young chef on your hands, you will be happy to know that Flour Power Kids Cooking Studios is within walking distance of Cameron Wood. Family members of all ages can take advantage of classes, camps, kids’ night out events, birthday parties, etiquette classes, corporate events, and much more.
- Carowinds – Another great family-friendly adventure is North Carolina’s favorite amusement park: Carowinds. Just under 10 miles from Cameron Wood, you can go there and experience thrill rides, a water park, live shows, Dinosaurs Alive, Planet Snoopy, family rides, restaurants and more.
- William R. Davie Park – Charlotte offers its residents a number of phenomenal parks and green spaces, and one of the closest to Cameron Wood is the popular William R. Davie Park. Within its 107 acres, you will find a basketball court, dog park, four softball fields, two soccer fields, a volleyball court, horseshoe pits, indoor and outdoor shelters, a pond, walking trails, playgrounds, and more.
- Harris YMCA – Cameron Wood is also just minutes from the Harris YMCA, a branch of the YMCA of Charlotte. Members of all ages can take advantage of classes, camps, a fitness center, weight training areas, indoor and outdoor tracks, dance studios, a full-time nurse, indoor and outdoor pools and water parks, sports fields, and more.
Real Estate Information
The homes in Cameron Wood were built between 1986 and 2000, meaning you will find many established residences in the timeless styles popular during the late 20th century. Traditional two-story homes are plentiful, as are Cape Cods. Homes here typically offer features like hardwood floors, cozy fireplaces, large decks or screened porches, and peaceful backyards. Many of the homes in Cameron Wood range between $250,000 and $500,000 and 1,500 to 3,500 square feet.
- Cameron Wood
- Smithfield Elementary School
- Quail Hollow Middle School
- South Mecklenburg High School
Homes for Sale in Cameron Wood
Subdivision: Cameron WoodView Details
Subdivision: Cameron WoodView Details
Subdivision: Cameron WoodView Details