Welcome to Ballantyne
Contact a Ballantyne Neighborhood Expert Today
Nestled on 2,000 acres between South Carolina and South Charlotte sits one of the city’s newest upscale communities. It has its own luxury hotel and spa, its own country club, its own PGA-ranked golf course, and its own corporate park that houses Fortune 500 Companies. Welcome to Ballantyne.
Though the Ballantyne community is part of Charlotte, some people say it feels like a city within itself. From the luxurious hotel and spa to the country club to the huge office park, there are plenty of opportunities for residents to live, work, and play without leaving the area. Sidewalks and bike paths are everywhere, so anyone who wants to get some exercise or save gas money can easily bike or walk to dining, shopping, and other amenities. Some residents even choose to walk or bike to work.
While it is easy to feel removed from the city in Ballantyne, most people appreciate the fact that Uptown is just 20 miles north. This means ample opportunities for career growth and recreation without adding too much time to your commute.
The land that is now Ballantyne was once part of the late North Carolina Governor Cameron Morrison’s hunting preserve. Morrison’s grandchildren inherited the land and eventually decided to do something with it. Development began on the neighborhood during the early 1990s, and today, it is a thriving community.
Charlotte itself dates back to 1768 when European immigrants incorporated the city and named it for Queen Charlotte of Great Britain. It saw the first gold rush in the country around 1800 and played a role in the Civil War. Most notably, it served as the location for the Confederate Navy Yard, as well as the location for the last cabinet meeting of Jefferson Davis. After the war, the city became a major railroad hub with a thriving textile industry. By the mid to late 1900s, some residents turned their focus from agriculture to banking, and today, Charlotte is the second-largest banking center in the United States. It also has one of the fastest growing metropolitan areas.
- Population: 23,000
- The Ballantyne Corporate Park sits on 535 acres and is home to over 4,000,000 square feet of office space. Companies like SPX, ESPN, Extended Stay America, Premier Inc., Babcock & Wilcox, MetLife, Tree.com, and Snyder’s-Lance all have offices or headquarters here.
- Ballantyne has its own lifestyle magazine simply called Ballantyne.
- Public school students who live in Ballantyne will attend Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools.
- Private schools in and around Ballantyne include British American School of Charlotte, Charlotte Country Day School, Charlotte Latin School, United Faith Christian Academy, and South Charlotte Baptist Academy.
- Ballantyne is famous for its 30-foot monuments that represent the history of Charlotte and celebrates its past and present as a major part of the transportation and finance industries. Yugoslavian sculptor Boris Tomic took three years to create the monuments.
Ballantynes is just 20 miles from Uptown and minutes from favorite local attractions like Lake Wylie and Carowinds, but residents do not have to leave home to have a good time. Relax in the spa at the Ballantyne luxury hotel, play a round of golf at the country club, or dine at assortments of trendy modern restaurants scattered throughout the community. The upscale SoutPark Mall is just a few miles away, but there are several places to shop in the community as well.
- Gallery Restaurant – For fine upscale dining, head to the luxurious Ballantyne hotel’s Gallery Restaurant. You will feel as if you are in a real art gallery as you dine on traditional American breakfast, brunch, lunch, and dinner dishes with a modern twist. It is a great place to celebrate a special occasion or take a date.
- Stone Mountain Grill – When you feel like a mountain getaway but you do not have time to pack up and head to a lodge, you can do the next best thing: enjoy a meal at Stone Mountain Grill. The family-friendly restaurant looks like a mountain lodge, and it serves excellent classic American dishes that will make your mouth water.
- Vine American Kitchen – If you love fresh, local, and organic ingredients, you will love the high-end dishes at Vine. The atmosphere is just as sophisticated as the food, and both will have you coming back to this Ballantyne favorite again and again. Sandwiches, steak, and seafood are some of the stars of the menu, and finish it off with a rich dessert such as a Ghirardelli Brownie Sundae or Signature Coconut Cake.
- Duckworth’s Grill & Taphouse – Want to watch the big game, drink beer fresh from the tap, and dine on dishes like Carolina BBQ, wings, pizza, subs, steaks, tacos, ribs, and shrimp. Duckworth’s is the place to go. Just do not forget to try its signature cheesesteak. The restaurant has 5 locations in the Charlotte area.
- Hyderabadi Biryani House – For home-style Indian dishes, Hyderabadi Biryani House is a Ballantyne favorite. You can order online or dine in, but expect friendly service either way. Also expect traditional Indian and Indo-Chinese food unlike anything else in the area.
- Airports – The Ballantyne community is just under 20 miles from Charlotte Douglas International Airport, making it a great place to live for those who travel often. The airport is one of the largest in the country, as well as one of the busiest in the world, and it flies to over 159 nonstop destinations.
- Public Transportation – Bus service to various locations in the Ballantyne area is provided throughout the day via the Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS).
- Major Roads and Interstates – Ballantyne sits just south of Interstate 485, which forms a complete loop around the city of Charlotte. US Highway 521, which runs through South Carolina, also runs through Ballantyne and ends at Interstate 485.
- SouthPark Mall – For upscale shopping, Ballantyne is just about 8 miles south of Charlotte’s famed SouthPark Mall. One of the biggest and the most profitable malls in the United States, SouthPark is home to over 150 stores and restaurants. They include Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Macy’s, Belk, Dicks Sporting Goods, Hermes, H&M, Pottery Barn, Crate & Barrel, Louis Vuitton, Sephora, and Kate Spade.
- Carolina Place – Ballantyne is also just about 4 miles from Carolina Place. This mall in Pineville includes over 130 stores, such as Macy’s, Barnes & Noble, Belk, Dillard’s, Sears, REI, and JCPenney.
- StoneCrest at Piper Glen – Ballantyne is just minutes from StoneCrest at Piper Glen, which has a theater, features live entertainment, and is a top shopping and dining destination in the area. It is home to stores and restaurants like Target, Soma, Chico’s, Basil Thai, Michaels, Claire’s, Marble Slab Creamery, Ulta Beauty, and Smashburger.
Entertainment, Nightlife & Things To Do
- The Ballantyne Hotel – Ballantyne has its own luxury hotel. It is the perfect place for a quick getaway when you do not want to travel too far from home. It also features a fine dining restaurant, a spa, a pool, and other amenities that you can take advantage of throughout the year.
- The Golf Club at Ballantyne – The Golf Club at Ballantyne features an award-winning 18-hole public course, pro shop, driving range, and putting green. It is also home to the prestigious Dana Rader Golf School. If you are not a golfer, you can still take advantage of the tennis courts, pool, and fitness center.
- Lake Wylie – For a quick weekend getaway or an afternoon on the boat, Lake Wylie is less than 20 miles from Ballantyne. It is a great place for fishing, swimming, hiking, picnicking, and enjoying the great outdoors.
- Carowinds – North Carolina’s favorite theme park is less than 10 miles from Ballantyne. Carowinds features thrill rides, family rides, a water park, dining options, and so much more.
- Bank of America Stadium – Ballantyne is just 20 miles south of Uptown and all of its attractions, such as Bank of America stadium. The stadium is home to the Carolina Panthers and hosts others events throughout the year.
Real Estate Information
Unlike most of the neighborhoods in South Charlotte where homes date back to the 1950s, homes in Ballantyne have been built over the course of the last 20 years. You will find a mix of spacious brick and stucco traditional styles mixed with large estates with over 10,000 square feet. Prices start in the $400,000s and range up to the multi-millions.
- Allyson Park
- Ardrey Commons
- Ardrey Crest
- Ballantyne Country Club
- Ballantyne Meadows
- Blakeney Retreat
- Mitchell Glen
- Providence Pointe
- Providence West
- Weston Glen
- Wynridge Estates
- Ballantyne Elementary School
- Elon Park Elementary School
- Endhaven Elementary School
- Hawk Ridge Elementary School
- McAlpine Elementary School
- McKee Elementary School
- Olde Providence Elementary School
- Pineville Elementary School
- Polo Ridge Elementary School
- Providence Springs Elementary School
- Smithfield Elementary School
- Community House Middle School
- JM Robinson Middle School
- Quail Hollow Middle School
- South Charlotte Middle School
Homes for Sale in Ballantyne
Subdivision: EdinburghView Details
Subdivision: Landen GlenView Details
Subdivision: FarmingtonView Details
Subdivision: RaintreeView Details
Subdivision: RaintreeView Details
Subdivision: South Point On LandenView Details
Subdivision: RaintreeView Details
Subdivision: SouthamptonView Details
Subdivision: Rainbow ForestView Details
Subdivision: RaeburnView Details
The data relating to real estate on this website derive in part from the CarolinaMLS Internet Data Exchange program. Brokers make an effort to deliver accurate information, but buyers should independently verify any information on which they will rely in a transaction. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. Neither this website nor any listing broker shall be responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, or misprints, and they shall be held totally harmless from any damages arising from reliance upon this data. This data is provided exclusively for consumers' personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties they may be interested in purchasing. © 2019 CarolinaMLS