Welcome to Sedgefield
Contact a Sedgefield Neighborhood Expert Today
In 2014, Sedgefield was named one of the hottest neighborhoods in the country, thanks to its affordable homes that sit on beautifully landscaped lots. The community is certainly one on the rise. Its proximity to jobs, entertainment, and transportation play a role in its popularity, but the rising home values, historic charm, and walkable tree-lined streets are also inviting to newcomers. Sedgefield has gone through a revitalization process over the last few years, with many of its homes being renovated and a few new shopping centers popping up. However, it maintains the atmosphere of a small, friendly town.
Sedgefield is popular with professionals who work in Uptown but want a quiet place to spend their nights and weekends without dealing with traffic. It is also popular with young families. Students will attend nationally ranked Myers Park High School, which Newsweek consistently considers one of the “Top 40 Best High Schools” in the United States. The quiet streets and sidewalks are perfect for a walk or bike ride, and Sedgefield even has its own park. Residents can walk to local shopping and dining destinations.
Sedgefield is an older Charlotte suburb that was built just after World War II. For this reason, many of the homes and businesses in the community date back to the 1940s and 1950s. Originally farmland owned by Lex Marsh, the largely residential neighborhood was booming by the 1960s, due, in part, to its proximity to Uptown Charlotte.
The city of Charlotte dates back much further to 1768. Named for Queen Charlotte of England, it was the site of the first short-lived gold rush in 1799 and eventually became a hub for cotton and textiles. By the 1970s and 1980s, Charlotte was on its way to becoming one of the top banking centers in the country, as well as one of the fastest-growing cities in North America.
- Population: 3,200
- Public school students will attend top Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools, including the award-winning Myers Park High School.
- One private school is located in the neighborhood, Holy Trinity Catholic Middle School. Many others are within a quick drive.
- Sedgefield has its own branch of the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library.
- The neighborhood is minutes from some of Charlotte’s top employers, like Carolinas Healthcare System, Wells Fargo, Bank of America, American Airlines, and Novant Health.
- Sedgefield’s crime rate tends to be lower than that in other parts of Mecklenburg County.
One of the major appeals of living is Sedgefield is proximity to Uptown Charlotte and many of the city’s top destinations. Professional sports, museums, a booming nightlife, and other entertainment options are just minutes away, some practically within walking distance. Speaking of walking, Sedgefield residents can easily walk to shopping and dining in their area. Development on new retails spaces in and around the neighborhood is currently underway.
- Famous Toastery – If you are looking for a great spot to grab breakfast, brunch, or lunch, look no further than Famous Toastery. There are plenty of delicious breakfast options on the menu to choose from, so many, in fact, that you will find yourself returning again and again to try them all. Enjoy a meal on the patio on a warm Carolina day.
- Monsoon Thai Cuisine – When you are craving Thai food, you must check out Monsoon Thai Cuisine. It even includes many vegetarian options. Expect big servings and fast and friendly service.
- Ed’s Tavern – Every neighborhood needs a sports bar, and for Sedgefield, it is Ed’s Tavern. From live music and trivia to the selection of beer and your favorite comfort foods, you will find yourself here, having a good time at least once a week, especially if you live within walking distance.
- Persuasian Restaurant – Another favorite for Asian cuisine, Persuasian serves up Chinese, Asian Fusion, and more. It also has a wine bar. Whether you grab takeout on the way home from work or enjoy the intimate setting, you will find that this becomes another one of your favorite haunts.
- Airports – Sedgefield is just 3 miles from Charlotte Douglas International Airport, one of the busiest airports in the country.
- Public Transportation – Charlotte’s LYNX blue line light rail runs through Sedgefield and stops at New Bern Station, making a trip into Uptown easier than ever. Two Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS) bus lines also run through the neighborhood. They are #12 (South Boulevard) and #19 (Park Road).
- Major Roads and Interstates – South Boulevard borders Sedgefield to the west and Park Road forms its eastern border. Interstates 77 and 277 are just a quick drive away.
- Local Boutiques – There are several small, locally-owned boutiques surrounding Sedgefield, especially along South Boulevard. Some favorites are 32 Flavors, Berrybrook Farm Natural Food Pantry, and Petal Boutique. Shop for everything from art and accessories to designer clothing and organic groceries.
- SouthPark Mall – Sedgefield is just minutes from Charlotte’s favorite upscale shopping destination, SouthPark Mall. Here you will find brands like Louis Vuitton, Kate Spade, Coach, Burberry, Apple, Hermes, Pottery Barn, and more. There are also many restaurants and individual shops in the area.
- Park Road Shopping Center – Sedgefield is also just minutes from one of Charlotte’s oldest shopping destinations, the Park Road Shopping Center. The open-air strip mall dates back to 1956 and includes some of its original tenants. Enjoy restaurants, businesses, and stores, such as Harris Teeter, Michaels, and Blackhawk Hardware.
Entertainment, Nightlife & Things To Do
- Sedgefield Park – Sedgefield has its own neighborhood park with a variety of family-friendly activities. It offers a recreation center, miles of walking trails, a playground, basketball and tennis courts, and much more.
- Bank of America Stadium – The neighborhood is practically within walking distance of Bank of America stadium, home to the Carolina Panthers. Catch Cam Newton and the gang during a home game or take in other events throughout the year.
- Freedom Park – One of Charlotte’s largest and most popular parks, Freedom Park, is right next to Sedgefield. The 98-acre park is home to baseball fields and batting cages, tennis courts, soccer fields, basketball and volleyball courts, a concession stand, a 7-acre lake, a bandshell, playgrounds, the NFL Play60 KidZone, walking trails and bike paths, outdoor shelters with grills, and much more.
- Discovery Place – A great place for kids and kids at heart, the Discovery Place museum offers all the science, technology, and nature you could ever dream of. Do not forget to check out the IMAX Dome theater and the many hands-on exhibits.
- NASCAR Hall of Fame – Charlotte is NASCAR country, and fans will delight in the fact that the NASCAR Hall of Fame is just minutes from Sedgefield. Enjoy exhibits and memorabilia from your favorite drivers, as well as the High Octane Theater, the Pit Stop Café, and so much more.
Real Estate Information
You will find some new construction in Sedgefield, but you will find many more homes from the mid-19th century. Brick ranch-style homes, cottages, and colonials have been updated and remodeled for modern conveniences without losing their historic charm. Most of the homes sit along shady tree-lined streets on larger lush green lots. These homes are generally smaller than those in other surrounding neighborhoods at 800 to 2,200 square feet and 2 to 3 bedrooms. You will also find a few condominiums and townhomes in the area. Prices typically fall between $200,000 and $600,000 with a median listing price around $300,000.
Homes for Sale in Sedgefield
No Listings Found.
The data relating to real estate on this website derive in part from the CarolinaMLS Internet Data Exchange program. Brokers make an effort to deliver accurate information, but buyers should independently verify any information on which they will rely in a transaction. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. Neither this website nor any listing broker shall be responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, or misprints, and they shall be held totally harmless from any damages arising from reliance upon this data. This data is provided exclusively for consumers' personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties they may be interested in purchasing. © 2017 CarolinaMLS