Welcome to Providence Downs
Contact a Providence Downs Neighborhood Expert Today
Nestled in the wooded countryside south of Charlotte in the Marvin-Waxhaw area, the luxurious subdivision of Providence Downs welcomes and delights its residents with gorgeous custom homes set along winding tree-lined roads, along with plenty of resort-like amenities and community activities. Minutes away from some of suburban Charlotte’s most popular shopping and dining destinations, yet secluded enough to provide a peaceful getaway, this popular neighborhood enjoys low Union County tax rates, excellent schools and easy access to the best attractions of Charlotte. Welcome to Providence Downs.
While Providence Downs itself is a newer planned subdivision (and while the Village of Marvin was incorporated just over a decade ago), the roots of this community date back before the Revolutionary War, when colonists first began farming the land in the mid-1700s, settling around the town now known as Waxhaw in the mid-1700s. With cotton as the primary agricultural product, it came as little surprise that the arrival of the railroad in the late 1800s turned this agricultural community more industrial, with the emergence of several textile factories to process the harvested cotton. Today, amid the urban sprawl of nearby Charlotte, this area retains its rural charm, and Waxhaw has preserved its legacy with its historic downtown, listed on the National Register of Historic Places
- Population: 6110 (Marvin)
- Neighborhood features newer homes, clubhows, playgrounds, swimming pool, tennis courts, walking trails and more
- Zoned within Union County School District
- Located 5.5 miles south of the Charlotte Loop (I-485), approximately 22 miles south of downtown Charlotte
Providence Downs affords much to enjoy within the neighborhood itself, including playgrounds, walking trails, tennis courts, a community pool and a large clubhouse with activities scheduled year-round. In keeping with the neighborhood’s equestrian theme (the streets have names like “Kentucky Derby Dr.” and “Churchill Downs Dr.”), residents can enjoy horseback riding at several nearby stables, while other outdoor options include communing with nature along the walking trails of Marvin, or playing a round of golf at one of several championship courses in the area. A short drive south brings you to the antique shops and restaurants of historic downtown Waxhaw, while a short drive north to I-485 gives you access to lots of other Charlotte area attractions
- 131 Main – You’ll find this highly rated restaurant in the nearby Blakeney shopping area, featuring delectable New American fare, reserve wines and craft beers in a relaxed but upscale environment.
- 18 Asian & Sushi Bar – For great Asian dishes and sushi at affordable prices—along with a healthy dose of atmosphere—visit this popular spot in Blakeney.
- Rippington’s Restaurant – A popular local favorite, this establishment in historic Waxhaw offers a wide range of dishes at moderate prices.
- Airports – Charlotte Douglas International Airport is located approximately 24 miles from Providence Downs via the I-485 Inner Loop, offering dozens of flights daily to domestic and international destinations.
- Major Roads and Interstates – The southeast sector of Interstate-485 (Governor James G. Martin Freeway) is located about 5.5 miles north of Providence Downs via Rea Road.
- Blakeney– This busy shopping area can be found just over 3 miles north along Rea Road, featuring anchor stores like Target and Old Navy along with boutique shops like Talbots and Francescas.
- StoneCrest at Piper Glen – Drive a few miles past Blakeney along Rea Road toward I-485 to find this popular shopping area featuring a wide range of stores along with a movieplex.
- SouthPark – For a more upscale shopping experience, drive about a half hour north into Charlotte to the SouthPark Mall, where you’ll find more than 150 stores including anchors like Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom.
Entertainment, Nightlife & Things To Do
- Carolina Country Acres – Located just two miles south of Providence Downs along Crane Road, this is just one of several quality stables in the area offering boarding, sales, horse shows, riding lessons and more.
- The Golf Club at Ballantyne – Located on the grounds of the popular Ballantyne Hotel a few miles to the northwest, this public 18-hole championship course offers tee times year-round.
- Symphony Park at SouthPark – Adjacent to the SouthPark Mall, this outdoor venue features festivals and events throughout the spring and summer, including the popular Summer Pops series by the Charlotte Symphony.
Real Estate Information
Providence Downs is a newer planned community featuring spacious custom homes built from 2001 onward. Home prices in this area range from the mid-$500s to around $1.3 million.
- Providence Downs
Homes for Sale in Providence Downs
No Listings Found.
The data relating to real estate on this website derive in part from the CarolinaMLS Internet Data Exchange program. Brokers make an effort to deliver accurate information, but buyers should independently verify any information on which they will rely in a transaction. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. Neither this website nor any listing broker shall be responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, or misprints, and they shall be held totally harmless from any damages arising from reliance upon this data. This data is provided exclusively for consumers' personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties they may be interested in purchasing. © 2018 CarolinaMLS