Welcome to Plaza-Midwood
Contact a Plaza Midwood Neighborhood Expert Today
A historic, eclectic neighborhood with tight-knit residents. The walkable, tree-lined streets, vintage bungalow homes, and locally-owned shops and restaurants are some of the most charming in all of Charlotte. Welcome to Plaza-Midwood.
Plaza-Midwood is nearly a century old, and while it has had a few ups and downs during that time, it has definitely been going through an “up” period over the last few decades. The community is thriving as residents old and new have given it a facelift, fixing up and maintaining historic buildings and homes, welcoming new businesses, and creating and growing an extremely active neighborhood association. For this reason, it is one of the most sought-after places to live in Charlotte.
There is always something going on — a fall or winter festival or a tour of homes — and on any given day, you can grab the dog’s leash or the baby’s stroller and head out for a walk, thanks to Charlotte’s mild climate and Plaza-Midwood’s pedestrian-friendly streets. Diversity is important here, as well. You will find everyone from single professionals who work in nearby Uptown to young couples looking for a great place to start a family. Diversity is also key when it comes to the community’s shops and restaurants. You may find an art gallery next to a tattoo parlor or an upscale clothing boutique next to an antique shop. Of course, both Uptown and South Charlotte’s many entertainment opportunities are just a quick drive away.
Plaza-Midwood was originally called “Chatham Estates” when it was developed back in the 1920s. Designed by the Oakland Land Company and heavily funded by the prominent Van Landingham family, the community thrived for the next few decades, even surviving the Great Depression. Unfortunately, by the 1960s, residents began leaving the neighborhood for the suburbs. The area underwent a period of decline, but during the 1970s, a group of residents decided they wanted to make it great again.
The Plaza-Midwood Neighborhood Association formed in 1975, and it has been a part of the community ever since. By the 1990s, it was one of the hippest places in Charlotte to call home. In 1992, part of the neighborhood was established as a Local Historic District. The Van Landingham home stills stands today and serves as a bed and breakfast and wedding venue. The newer neighborhood name, “Plaza-Midwood,” came from combining the names of one of the most beautiful and traveled main roads through the area, The Plaza, and the largest community, Midwood.
- Population: 3,500
- Public school students living in Plaza-Midwood will attend Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools, including the historic Garinger High School.
- The community also has its own branch of the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library.
- Residents of Plaza-Midwood have access to some of the largest employers in Charlotte. Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Carolinas Healthcare System, Lowe’s, America Airlines, Novant Health, and Harris Teeter are all just a quick drive away.
- The Plaza-Midwood Neighborhood Association is one of the most active in all of Charlotte. It maintains a community garden, neighborhood watch program, and events like school fundraisers, festivals, clean-up days, and seasonal and holiday activities.
- Scenes from the USA show The Novice were filmed in Plaza-Midwood.
When it comes to unique shopping and dining opportunities, Plaza-Midtown has most other Charlotte neighborhoods beat. From a pizza place located in an old gas station to quaint antique shops, you will find a little bit of everything here. Several bars and restaurants make for a decent nightlife, and the nearby Bojangles Theater is a great place to catch a concert. Uptown is just a quick drive away, as are its attractions, ranging from professional sports venues to museums. The prestigious Charlotte Country Club is also located in the community.
- Krazy Fish – Before you even have a bite to eat at Krazy Fish, you will notice that the décor is a little on the eclectic side. The entire building is a work of art. That is just a sign of the creative menu choices the restaurants offers. Of course, you will find a selection of seafood, but you will also find some old favorite Southern comfort dishes and even some Asian fusion and Vietnamese pho dishes included. Adults can also enjoy a vast selection of beer, wine, and mixed drinks at the bar.
- Soul Gastrolounge – If you are looking for a trendy yet comfortable spot in Plaza- Midwood to enjoy good Southern cooking, a refreshing adult beverage, and a heated patio that offers views of the Charlotte skyline, Soul Gastrolounge is the place for you. The menu offers a unique blend of sushi, pitas, paninis, salads, and tapas like Asian Glazed Pork Belly Tacos, Dirty South Nachos, and Lamp Lollipops, which will please any crowd.
- Dish – Dish is a quaint and cozy spot in Plaza-Midwood, where you will find classic Southern comfort food just like your mama used to make. Located in a walkable area and offering great prices, Dish is most certainly a neighborhood favorite and has been for well over a decade. Some popular dishes on the menu include fried green tomatoes, shrimp and grits, and chicken and dumplings.
- Zada Jane’s Corner Café – Zada Jane’s has also been a neighborhood staple in Plaza-Midwood for a while now. It feels more like a beachside restaurant than a café in a big city, and while it’s open until dinner time most days, its specialty is breakfast. The family-friendly eatery also serves sandwiches, soups, and salads, but the best part of it all is that most of the ingredients used are local, organic, or hormone-free. It also features full-service coffee options, and patrons can even take in a game of shuffleboard after they dine.
- Midwood Smokehouse – North Carolinians love their barbecue, and for that reason alone, the Midwood Smokehouse is one of the most popular restaurants in the city. Featured on both television programs and in print media, the smokehouse has a reputation for its traditional recipes, friendly service, and, of course, its tasty food. From the Pimento Cheese Fries to the brisket to the banana pudding. You will not leave hungry.
- Airports – Charlotte Douglas International Airport is just over 10 miles from the community. It is one of the busiest airports in the United States.
- Public Transportation – Bus service is provided to Plaza-Midwood via four different Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS) routes.
- Major Roads and Interstates – The main roads in the community are The Plaza, Hawthorne Lane, and Central Avenue. US Route 74 (Andrew Jackson Highway) and Interstate 277 are just minutes away.
- Local Boutiques – One of the most exciting things about Plaza-Midwood is its local shopping scene. Throughout town, you will find dozens of antique shops, consignment stores, art galleries, clothing boutiques, bookstores, and other trendy places. It is truly one of the coolest places to shop in Charlotte.
- Metropolitan – If you prefer big-name stores, you will have to head just outside of Plaza-Midwood to nearby shopping centers like Metropolitan. Stores here include Trader Joes, Best Buy, West Elm, Staples, Marshalls, and several restaurants.
- SouthPark Mall – For an upscale experience, Plaza-Midwood is around 7 miles from SouthPark Mall, one of North Carolina’s most sought-after shopping spots. Stores here include world-famous brands like Apple, American Girl, Coach, Burberry, Louis Vuitton, Hermes, Kate Spade, Sephora, Party Barn, Neiman Marcus, Michael Kors, and more.
Entertainment, Nightlife & Things To Do
- Charlotte Country Club – The historic Charlotte Country Club is located along the eastern boundary of Plaza-Midwood. Established in 1910, it is considered to be one of the top 10 private clubs in the United States and has earned numerous awards and accolades. The club features an 18-hole Donald Ross course which has been ranked as one of the top 100 in the country by GolfWeek. It also features 19 tennis courts, 2 squash courts, and five swimming pools, as well as a beautiful 68,000 square foot clubhouse.
- Bojangles Coliseum – Bojangles Coliseum dates back to 1955 and has been entertaining Charlotte residents and visitors ever since. Concerts, standup comedy, and other events take place here each week. It is located just minutes from Plaza-Midwood.
- Bank of America Stadium – Football fans will fall in love with the fact that the neighborhood is just minutes from the home of the Carolina Panthers, Bank of America Stadium. Join Cam Newton and the team for every fall home game or watch one of the many other events that take place here throughout the year.
- Discovery Place – There are several museums in nearby Uptown, but one of the most popular is Discovery Place. With something for family members of all ages, the science and technology museum is known for its IMAX Dome Theatre, hands-on and interactive exhibits, and so much more. Learn about everything from dinosaurs to robots.
- NASCAR Hall of Fame – Charlotte is home to many of NASCAR’s top teams, so it only makes sense that it is also home to the NASCAR Hall of Fame. Located in nearby Uptown, the facility features tributes to the sport’s history, interactive exhibits, memorabilia from favorite drivers, a theater, a café, and much more.
Real Estate Information
There are around 1,400 homes in Plaza-Midwood, and many of them were built in the early 1900s and have since been revitalized. Home prices range from the mid $100,000s up to over $2 million with an average price somewhere around $400,000. Bungalows, Craftsman homes, cottages, and ranch-style homes are what you will typically find along the community’s charming tree-lined streets.
Homes for Sale in Plaza Midwood
Subdivision: MidwoodView Details
Subdivision: MidwoodView Details
Subdivision: MidwoodView Details
Subdivision: MidwoodView Details
Subdivision: Myers ParkView Details
Subdivision: The Arts DistrictView Details
MLS #154239View Details
MLS #3449453View Details
MLS #3549563View Details
Subdivision: PlazaView Details
MLS #3548966View Details
The data relating to real estate on this website derive in part from the CarolinaMLS Internet Data Exchange program. Brokers make an effort to deliver accurate information, but buyers should independently verify any information on which they will rely in a transaction. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. Neither this website nor any listing broker shall be responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, or misprints, and they shall be held totally harmless from any damages arising from reliance upon this data. This data is provided exclusively for consumers' personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties they may be interested in purchasing. © 2019 CarolinaMLS