Welcome to Pellyn Wood
Contact a Pellyn Wood Neighborhood Expert Today
Gracious, elegant homes tucked away on wooded lots and surrounded by rolling hills, ponds, creeks, and ancient oaks. A private community that some of the city’s business elite call home. Welcome to Pellyn Wood.
Residents often refer to the homes in Pellyn Wood as some of the most beautiful homes in all of Charlotte. Built over the last few decades with state-of-the-art amenities, each one exudes character and charm, but if you blink, you might miss the entire neighborhood. There are no grand signs at the entrances of Pellyn Wood, which was built on old farm land, and the area is so hidden away, that many people just drive by without giving it a second thought. However, those that choose to live here know that it is the perfect place for peaceful, quiet, luxurious living. Instead of the typical sounds of the city, you hear birds chirping, brooks babbling, and kids playing in their backyards.
In reality, Pellyn Wood is just 8 miles from Uptown and 13 miles from the airport. The exclusive SouthPark Mall is just moments away, as are some of the city’s best restaurants. There are churches and parks within a 5-minute drive, and the prestigious Charlotte Country Day School is within walking distance.
Pellyn Wood was mostly farmland up until the last few decades, which is how the city of Charlotte began. Founded in 1768, European settlers named the city for Queen Charlotte of England and began farming crops like tobacco and cotton. In 1799, a young boy discovered a 17-pound piece of gold, and that moment launched the nation’s first gold rush. Eventually, fortune-seekers left North Carolina for California, and those who remained returned to life on the farm. However, after the Civil War, the construction of railroads provided Charlotte residents with more opportunity for commerce, and before long, the city was one of the top textile producers in the world. By the 1970s, banking had become the big business in Charlotte, and today, it rivals only New York City as one of the top financial centers in the country.
- Population: 320
- Pellyn Wood’s public school students will attend Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools, including Myers Park High School. Newsweek consistently ranks it as one of the top 40 high schools in the United States.
- Pellyn Wood is home to some of Charlotte’s top names in business, and that may be because it is just a quick commute to some of the city’s top employers. Charlotte’s top employers include Carolinas Healthcare System, Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Walmart, Lowe’s, Norvant Health, American Airlines, Duke Energy, and Harris Teeter.
- In 2013, Forbes magazine named Charlotte one of the “Best Places for Business and Careers” in the entire United States.
- Pellyn Wood is just 6 miles from Carolinas Medical Center, one of the top hospitals in the region.
- Many notable people have called Charlotte home throughout the years. They include Presidents Andrew Jackson and James K. Polk, actor Randolph Scott, evangelist Billy Graham, and author Carson McCullers.
The area surrounding Pellyn Wood is largely residential, but you do not have to go too far to have a good time. Endless shopping and dining opportunities are just minutes away, such as those at the upscale SouthPark Mall and Phillips Place. Charlotte’s top entertainment venues, like Bank of America Stadium, Time Warner Cable Arena, and Carowinds are just a quick drive away. There are several parks and green spaces in the area, but just 20 miles away is the majestic Lake Wylie, perfect for a weekend getaway.
- Red Rocks Café – Red Rocks Café is a casual eatery that serves New American cuisine. The family-friendly restaurant offers a kids’ menu, as well as an extensive wine menu. Vegetarian and heart healthy meals are also available. Dine inside or out on the patio on a warm Carolina evening.
- Upstream – Esquire magazine named it one of the best new restaurants in the country when it opened, and Zagat calls it “Charlotte’s most popular restaurant.” Upstream at Phillips Place serves fresh seafood and Pacific Rim cuisine accompanied by an extensive wine list.
- The Cowfish Sushi Burger Bar – When you walk into The Cowfish Sushi Burger Bar, you will see people from all walks of life and maybe even a local celebrity. That is a testament to just how popular this unique concept restaurant is to Charlotte residents. At the sushi bar, you will find both traditional and unique dishes, while the delicious burgers are some of the best in the city. Wash it all down with a craft beer, an exotic martini, or a hand-spun milkshake.
- Boading – Boading has been a Charlotte staple for many years. Expect a casual dining room that serves traditional, no-frills Chinese cuisine. And that is exactly the way locals like it. Choose your meal from an extensive menu packed with favorites like stir-fry, steamers, rice dishes, lo mein, and more with your choice of protein.
- Barrington’s – Barrington’s opened in 2000, and it has been a Charlotte favorite ever since. Enjoy a bright and cheerful yet intimate atmosphere as you dine on upscale dishes made with Southern ingredients and New England influence. The chef is from Rhode Island and incorporates his home-style dishes into the menu every day.
- Airports – Charlotte Douglas International Airport is one of the busiest airports in the country, and it currently serves around 45 million customers per year. It is just 13 miles from Pellyn Wood.
- Public Transportation – A bus station sits just outside of Pellyn Wood on Carmel Road. It is serviced by the Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS).
- Major Roads and Interstates – No major roads run through Pellyn Wood, but it is situated between Carmel and Providence Roads. Interstates 485 and 77 are a quick drive away.
- SouthPark Mall – Pellyn Wood is just minutes from Charlotte’s favorite shopping destination, SouthPark Mall. The upscale mall is home to brands like Louis Vuitton, Hermes, Kate Spade, Armani, and Burberry, as well as popular anchor stores like Macy’s, Neiman Marcus, and Nordstrom.
- Phillips Place – Next to SouthPark Mall is Phillips Place, where you will find Restoration Hardware, Brooks Brothers, Orvis, Copper Penny, Via Veneto, and a number of other stores and restaurants. There is also a theater and Whole Foods in the vicinity.
- Park Road Shopping Center – Head a little further up the street and you will find the Park Road Shopping Center, Charlotte’s oldest open-air shopping center. Among the local shops and boutiques, you will find restaurants, services, and stores like Harris Teeter, Blackhawk Hardware & Gardens, and Michael’s.
Entertainment, Nightlife & Things To Do
- Carmel Road Park – There are not any parks in Pellyn Wood, but Carmel Road Park is just up the street. The small 10-acre facility features a playground, picnic shelters, tennis courts, a basketball court, a softball field, and multipurpose fields.
- Regal Cinemas Phillips Place 10 – The Phillips Place shopping center is just a quick drive from Pellyn Wood, and it is home to a popular theater. The 10-screen facility shows the latest films out of Hollywood and features a concession stand and comfort seating.
- Carowinds – The community is just under 12 miles from North Carolina’s top amusement park. Carowinds is fun for the whole family with its thrill rides, family rides, water park, restaurants, live shows, Planet Snoopy, and Dinosaurs Alive exhibit.
- Bank of America Stadium – Sports fans will delight in the fact that Bank of America stadium, home of the Carolina Panthers, is just 7.5 miles from Pellyn Wood. Tour the stadium on non-game days and catch other events there throughout the year.
- Lake Wylie – The 13,400-acre Lake Wylie is just about 20 miles from Pellyn Wood and makes for the perfect weekend destination. With 325 miles of shoreline, it is the perfect place to go boating, swimming, fishing, and camping.
Real Estate Information
The average home price in Pellyn Wood is around $2.67 million. Expect beautiful, spacious estates and homes that range from 3,500 to over 10,000 square feet. You will also find great variety in architectural styles. A cottage-style home might sit next to a modern-style home, while a Greek revival residence sits next to a sprawling French provincial estate. No matter the style of home, expect a private wooded lot, quality craftsmanship, and desirable amenities. Most of homes in Pellyn Wood were built over throughout the 1990s and 2000s, though there is some new construction.
- Pellyn Wood
Homes for Sale in Pellyn Wood
Subdivision: Pellyn WoodView Details