Welcome to Mint Hill
Contact a Mint Hill Neighborhood Expert Today
It is considered to be one of North Carolina’s safest and most peaceful towns, as well as one of the best places to own a home in the state. Its residents come together each week for events like summer concerts, farmers’ markets, football games, and church socials. Welcome to Mint Hill.
It is hard to imagine such a peaceful place located so close to a big city and major interstate, but the town of Mint Hill pulls it off. Sure, you can be in the heart of Charlotte in 10 minutes and a portion of Interstate 485 runs right through it, but the mostly residential town doesn’t let that change its laid-back atmosphere. The town likes to brag about its “community spirit,” and it has every right to do so. Every year there are golf tournaments, movies in the park, Christmas tree lightings, and there is a festival called Mint Hill Madness that features carnival rides, food, fireworks, a parade, and much more. Combine that with the excellent schools in the area, the low crime rates, and the affordable homes, and many people consider Mint Hill the perfect spot to raise a family. It is also a great spot for commuters who want a quiet community where they can rest their heads after a busy day at work in Charlotte.
The Mint Hill community has roots that date all the way back to 1750, but the town itself did not incorporate until 1971. By 1985, a small group of citizens got together to form the Mint Hill Historical Society and help preserve the town’s past. The town played an important part in Mecklenburg County gold production during the 1800s, and the Historical Society offers tours of the old Surface Hill Gold Assay Office, as well as other buildings that tell the tales of Mint Hill’s earlier days.
- Population: 24,700
- Mint Hill has its own branch of the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County
- Safewise.com ranked Mint Hill as one of the 50 safest towns in North Carolina. It came in at number 13.
- NerdWallet.com named Mint Hill as one of the top 10 places in North Carolina to own a home.
- Education is important in Mint Hill, and its schools have achieved some pretty big accolades. Take Independence High School, for example. It is home to the Academy of International Studies sponsored by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. In addition to academics, its varsity football team is one of the most famous in the nation and has turned out several pro and college athletes.
- Mint Hill is a relatively new town in the Charlotte area, and its government continues to work hard to maintain and improve upon everything it already has to offer. Plans for 2016 include new medians, traffic lights, and extended sidewalks in select areas.
While Mint Hill’s commercial district continues to grow and several plans for shopping and dining are in the works, the town remains largely residential. Luckily, its prime location just outside of Charlotte and other suburbs means there is still plenty to do without driving too far to get there. Shopping, culture, sports, and entertainment are all just a quick drive away.
- Hawthorns New York Pizza & Bar – New York-style pizza is popular in the Charlotte area, and one place where Mint Hill residents can count on ordering some of the best is Hawthorne’s New York Pizza & Bar. The restaurant offers wraps, salads, and pasta, in addition to great pies, and even has gluten-free options.
- Irene Cafe – Irene Cafe is the type of place where friends gather to catch up and enjoy a coffee, a bowl of homemade soup, or fresh crepes. Just walking in the door of this intimate eatery takes you back to your mother’s or grandmother’s kitchen.
- The Hill Bar & Grill – Whether you want to catch a Panthers game with friends and a platter of wings or just have a beer and burger after a long day at work, The Hill Bar & Grill is the perfect place to go. It has WiFi, HDTV, and a friendly atmosphere with a diverse menu that features a vast selection of sandwiches.
- Dunwellz Custom Kitchen and Pour House – Dunwellz is known for its atmosphere as much as it is for its food. Eat there just once, and the staff will make you feel like a regular. The restaurant offers an extensive menu packed with classic American dishes and adult beverages. Don’t forget to check the daily specials.
- Carolina Creamery – For dessert, Carolina Creamery will become a regular stop for your family. Almost everything is homemade from the waffle cones to the ice cream, but that doesn’t mean you won’t find a wide variety of flavors. Stop in, grab a cone, and sit outside on a picnic bench while you enjoy it on a warm Carolina day.
- Charlotte Douglas International Airport – Mint Hill is just about 20 miles away from Charlotte Douglas International Airport, one of the busiest airports in the United States. In 2014, it served over 44.2 million passengers.
- Amtrak – The town is also just about 13 miles from Charlotte’s Amtrak Station.
- Interstate 485 – Interstate 485 runs right through Mint Hill. The road encircles Charlotte which makes access to the city and its suburbs quick and easy for commuters.
- Matthews-Mint Hill Road – Many of Mint Hill’s commercial locations are situated in a concentrated area of Matthews-Mint Hill Road. The town’s library and police department sit among a stretch of restaurants and stores like Harris Teeter, CVS, Trendy Tots, and more.
- Sycamore Commons Shopping Center – In nearby Matthews, less than 10 minutes from town, Mint Hill residents can shop at the Sycamore Commons Shopping Center. Stores there include Old Navy, Best Buy, Lowe’s, Lane Bryant, Mattress Firm, Michaels, Pier 1 Imports, and Dick’s Sporting Goods.
- SouthPark Mall – Head about 15 miles west of Mint Hill, and you will find the South Park Mall, a favorite shopping spot in Charlotte. It is home to over 150 stores, including American Girl, Kate Spade, Hollister, Louis Vuitton, Michael Kors, Pottery Barn, Macy’s, and Neiman Marcus.
Entertainment, Nightlife & Things To Do
- Pine Lake Country Club – Golf lovers will delight in the fact that Mint Hill has its own country club that sits on 157 beautiful acres. Pine Lake Country Club also has 6 clay and 2 hard tennis courts, and private lessons are available for both tennis and golf. There is also an Olympic-sized pool with food and beverage service, a fitness center, and food options that include a dining room, lounge, and snack bar.
- Carl J. McEwen Historic Village – A doctor’s museum, a country store, a gold assay office, a schoolhouse, and various outbuildings make up the Carl J. McEwen Historic Village. Visitors can tour the buildings from Mint Hill’s past five days a week.
- Mint Hill Farmer’s Market – Every Saturday in May through September, Mint Hill holds its own farmer’s market. Visitors can purchase local produce and handmade items like jewelry, candles, soaps, quilts, bird houses, crafts, and other gifts. Baked goods, lemonade, tea, and other tasty treats are also available. The market is a family-friendly activity that is loads of fun for all ages.
- Discovery Place – Located about 12 miles west of Mint Hill is Discovery Place. It’s one of Charlotte’s most popular family attractions. The interactive museum allows families to get an up-close-and-personal look at various scientific, technological, and mathematic aspects of the world. It also has its own IMAX Dome Theatre.
- Charlotte Motor Speedway – Fans know that the Charlotte area is the racing capital of the world, and Mint Hill is just about 17 miles south of Charlotte Motor Speedway. It hosts races all year, and it is the home track for numerous top NASCAR teams.
Real Estate Information
No matter the type of home you choose in Mint Hill, one thing is certain: you can almost always find one with a great yard. Large lots in neighborhoods are plentiful in Mint Hill, as are individual homes with several wooded acres. The equestrian lifestyle is important in the community, so that means plenty of countryside and stables. Whether you choose a new two-story brick suburban-style home or a quaint early 20th century cottage, expect rocking chair front porches, mature growth trees, open floor plans, and quality craftsmanship.
- Clear Creek Elementary School
- Bain Elementary School
- Lebanon Road Elementary School
- Crown Point Elementary School
Homes for Sale in Mint Hill
MLS #3486698View Details
MLS #3314437View Details
MLS #3312771View Details
MLS #3199018View Details
MLS #3543080View Details
MLS #3314301View Details
Subdivision: ChevalView Details
The data relating to real estate on this website derive in part from the CarolinaMLS Internet Data Exchange program. Brokers make an effort to deliver accurate information, but buyers should independently verify any information on which they will rely in a transaction. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. Neither this website nor any listing broker shall be responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, or misprints, and they shall be held totally harmless from any damages arising from reliance upon this data. This data is provided exclusively for consumers' personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties they may be interested in purchasing. © 2019 CarolinaMLS