Welcome to Lake Wylie
Contact a Lake Wylie Neighborhood Expert Today
A beautiful lakefront community that sits along both the North and South Carolina border. You can retire here, raise a family here, or even commute to Charlotte from here (it’s just 17 miles away), all while feeling like you are on a permanent vacation. Welcome to Lake Wylie.
When it comes to life in the Lake Wylie area, things are pretty laid-back and peaceful. It’s not hard to find a home on the water, and even if you are not already into boating or fishing, you might find yourself becoming interested if you hang around for a while. People take their boats to dinner — a far cry from the hustle and bustle of nearby Charlotte. The majority of the actual Lake Wylie community is in South Carolina with parts in North Carolina, which means plenty of access to jobs, shopping, schools, and entertainment. The weather in Lake Wylie rarely gets too cold. Summers are warm and humid and winters are usually mild. There really isn’t a reason not to fall in love with the area.
Lake Wylie itself dates back to 1904 when a dam was built near Fort Mill, South Carolina. That dam created what would become the oldest lake on the Catawba River. In 1924, the dam was rebuilt, creating a much larger lake. The name comes from Dr. W. Gil Wylie, the man who put together the original Catawba Power Company, which is now Duke Energy. Duke runs Lake Wylie these days, providing boat access, even water levels, and a fishing area year-round. The Lake provides water for Belmont, North Carolina and Rock Hill, South Carolina, as well as providing support for the Allen Steam Station, the Catawba Nuclear Station, and the Wylie Hydroelectric Station.
- Population: 11,472
- The actual lake called Lake Wylie takes up over 12,400 acres and features over 325 miles of shoreline, which means plenty of space for outdoor fun and lakefront homes.
- Lake Wylie is home to the famous Buster Boyd Bridge which connects the two Carolinas via a four-lane road. The original bridge was built over the Catawba River in 1923 with over 12,000 people, including the governors of both Carolinas, in attendance for a grand opening celebration.
- The official Lake Wylie community actually sits on a peninsula and is almost completely surrounded by water.
- Lake Wylie has its own public library on Blucher Circle. It is a part of the York County Library System.
- Families with active kids love the fact that Lake Wylie also has its own recreational athletic association. Baseball, soccer, and basketball programs are available.
- Lake Wylie has its own magazine, Lake Wylie Today, as well as the Lake Wylie Pilot newspaper.
Lake Wylie in itself is an attraction. Locals love to fish, boat, swim, and spend entire weekends on the water. You can even eat at several restaurants that sit along the shores. Natural beauty beyond the lake is also important here, as there are several parks and even a botanical garden nearby. For shopping and other entertainment opportunities, Charlotte is just a few miles away, and it has everything you could ever imagine, ranging from museums and amusement parks to sports and concert venues.
- Papa Docs Shore Club – Life in Lake Wylie is all about lakefront living, so why not enjoy some lakefront dining, too? At Papa Docs Shore Club, you can arrive by boat, listen to live music and enjoy an exceptional steak and seafood menu in the laid-back atmosphere.
- Christopher’s Grill & Bar – Keeping with the relaxed atmosphere in Lake Wylie, Christopher’s Grill & Bar is place where you can let your hair down, enjoy some great food and conversation with friends, and just have a good time. In addition to traditional bar food, Christopher’s serves seafood, steaks, sandwiches, and wraps.
- Lake Wylie Pizza & Italian Restaurant – When you are out on the water and get a craving for pizza, you don’t have to go far to get a good pie. Lake Wylie Pizza & Italian Restaurant is known as much for its friendly owners and staff as it is its delicious pizza and Italian cuisine.
- Rey Azteca – Lake Wylie even has Mexican food. You can grab a fajita, taco, burrito, or enchilada at Rey Azteca, as well as steak, beer, and wine. The family-friendly restaurant even offers a light menu for healthy eaters.
- Charlotte Douglas International Airport – Lake Wylie is just over 16 miles from Charlotte Douglas International Airport, one of the busiest airports in the country. The airport welcomes more than 46 million travelers annually. Several private transportation companies provide shuttles to and from the airport.
- Interstates – Lake Wylie may be a laid-back, serene place, but it is actually just minutes from Interstates 485 and 77.
- Rivergate Shopping Center – Just across the bridge in Charlotte is Rivergate Shopping Center, which is home to countless stores and restaurants. Some of them include Best Buy, Rack Room Shoes, Old Navy, Home Depot, SuperTarget, Dress Barn, Marshall’s, Office Max, and The Wine Shop.
- Charlotte Premium Outlets – Head about 10 miles northeast towards Charlotte, and you will find Charlotte Premium Outlets. Some of the over 100 stores at the outlet mall include Banana Republic Factory, Nike Factory Store, Michael Kors Outlet, Cole Haan, Gap Factory, J. Crew Factory, Kate Spade, and Coach.
Entertainment, Nightlife & Things To Do
- Carowinds – You can’t beat a day at Carowinds for family fun. The amusement park is home to The Intimidator, a roller coaster named for Dale Earnhardt that happens to be the biggest and the fastest in the Southeast. You will also find dozens of other thrills rides, a water park, and much more.
- McDowell Nature Preserve – Nature lovers will enjoy taking a trip to nearby McDowell Nature Preserve. The 1,107-acre park has a campground, fishing, boating, hiking trails, playgrounds, picnic areas, a nature center, and plenty of wildlife to watch.
- Lake Wylie – Of course Lake Wylie provides much entertainment for residents in the community. Boating, fishing, swimming, watersports, and much more are all part of a normal way of life on the lake and at its marinas, docks, and shores.
- Lake Wylie Bowl N’ Bounce – For indoor activities, the Lake Wylie Bowl N’ Bounce is always a great choice. It has 16 bowling lanes, a bounce house, an arcade, TVs, laser tag, and concessions. Kids can even have their birthday parties here.
- Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden – Head about 6 miles north to Belmont, North Carolina to visit the beautiful Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden. The year-round garden and nature center offers nature trails that allow visitors to tour the gardens and other exhibits and attractions. Don’t forget to go by the gift shop before you leave.
Real Estate Information
As you might imagine, Lake Wylie offers ample lakefront living. It is like being on a quiet vacation getaway 365 days a year. There is also plenty of land for sale by the lake so you can build your own custom home along one of the area’s winding roads. Neighborhoods in Lake Wylie tend to be environmentally friendly, feature larger wooded lots, and some even have pools, clubhouses, tennis courts, and boat slips and docks. Whether you want an upscale home in an intimate neighborhood or something more laidback and secluded, you will find it all here. Apartments and condos are also available in some areas.
- Larne Elementary School
- Crowders Creek Elementary School
- Lake Wylie Elementary School
- Winget Park Elementary School
- Griggs Road Elementary School
Homes for Sale in Lake Wylie
MLS #3369613View Details
MLS #3566492View Details
MLS #3476095View Details
Subdivision: River Hills PlantationView Details
Subdivision: Masons CrossingView Details
Subdivision: Lake WylieView Details
MLS #3574901View Details
MLS #3566524View Details
MLS #3566503View Details
Subdivision: River HillsView Details
The data relating to real estate on this website derive in part from the CarolinaMLS Internet Data Exchange program. Brokers make an effort to deliver accurate information, but buyers should independently verify any information on which they will rely in a transaction. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. Neither this website nor any listing broker shall be responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, or misprints, and they shall be held totally harmless from any damages arising from reliance upon this data. This data is provided exclusively for consumers' personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties they may be interested in purchasing. © 2020 CarolinaMLS