Welcome to Kensington
Contact a Kensington Neighborhood Expert Today
An established, sought-after upscale neighborhood with elegant homes that sit on large lush lots. Unlimited shopping, dining, entertainment, and business opportunities right in your own backyard. Welcome to Kensington.
When a home becomes available in the beautiful Kensington neighborhood, it is best to jump in and make an offer as quickly as possible, because they do not stay on the market for long. Why? Beautiful upscale brick homes on larger lots; an excellent school system and proximity to shopping and dining; and access to major roadways, the city’s top businesses, and beautiful parks and greenspaces are just a few of the reasons.
Situated just south of Interstate 485 in the popular Ballantyne community, Kensington residents can practically walk to nearby Stonecrest at Piper Glen, which is home to a movie theater, as well as some of the most popular shops and restaurants in the area. Head in the other direction, and you will find yourself at the Golf Club at Ballantyne, which is open to the public year-round. Several shops, businesses, and restaurants are located next door in Ballantyne Village.
Life in Kensington is not just about what is outside the neighborhood. Turn down one of the community’s beautiful streets and you will find stately homes that sit on private, half-acre lots, each with well-maintained landscaping, mature trees, and plenty of space to spend a Saturday afternoon having a barbecue, playing a game of catch with the kids, or planting that flower garden you have always dreamed of.
The Kensington community was mostly built in 1999, but the city of Charlotte’s history goes back much further. Incorporated in 1768 and named for Queen Charlotte of England, the city became the site of the first American gold rush around the late 18th century. The search for gold was short-lived, however, and those settlers who did not head west continued farming the fertile Piedmont land.
After the Civil War, Charlotte became a major railroad city, and those new transportation options led to it becoming a hub for textile manufacturing and shipping. That business died down during the early 20th century, but a few decades later, the city found success as a banking center. As the finance industry in Charlotte grew throughout the 1980s and 1990s, the city’s population expanded along with it. Today, it is one of the fastest-growing cities in the country, as well as the second-largest banking and finance city in the United States.
- Population: 700
- Students who live in Kensington will attend Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools.
- Kensington has its own homeowner’s association which maintains common areas within the community.
- Charlotte is the second-largest financial center in the country, and it has one of the strongest pro-business environments.
- Top employers in the city include Harris Teeter, American Airlines, Wells Fargo, Bank of America, and Carolinas Healthcare System.
- Charlotte also has a reputation for its “not too hot, not too cold” weather. The average temperature in July is 78.5 degrees, while the average January temperature is 40.1 degrees.
Within 5 minutes or less, Kensington residents can see a movie, play a round of golf, eat at some of Charlotte’s most popular restaurants, shop at favorite stores, or hang out and play in one of the city’s numerous parks and greenspaces. Drive a little further, and you have access to the rest of the city’s attractions, whether you want to catch a Carolina Panthers game at Bank of America Stadium, which is just 11 miles away, or go spend a weekend on the water at Lake Wylie, which is just 20 miles away.
- The Blue Taj – For a modern twist on classic Indian dishes, head to The Blue Taj in Ballantyne Village. In addition to the bar and wine cellar, the restaurant offers delicious food inside one of its four modern and chic, yet cozy and inviting dining rooms. It is the perfect place for date night or to meet a business associate for lunch.
- Cantina 1511 – For Mexican cuisine, Cantina 1511 in Stonecrest is the place to be. Go for the margaritas and guacamole, and stick around for the unique twist on traditional Mexican dishes. With two locations in Charlotte, the restaurant has been serving the city since 2004.
- Flying Biscuit Café – A Southern staple, the Flying Biscuit Café has locations in Florida, Georgia, and North Carolina, including this hotspot in Charlotte. Enjoy a delicious breakfast of all your traditional favorites — like pancakes, French toast, and omelets — any time of day. Do not forget to enjoy a signature flying biscuit. Sandwiches are also available
- Libretto’s Pizzeria – You can order pizza from a popular national chain, or you can try authentic New York-style pies from Libretto’s. With a location in Manhattan and three in Charlotte, the pizzeria serves up delicious pies made with an extensive assortment of toppings. You will also find several classic Italian dishes on the menu, along with pasta, wings, hero sandwiches, and other various sides.
- Duckworth’s Grill & Tap House – When you just want to go out and enjoy a drink, a good meal, and a football or basketball game on the big screen, head to Duckworth’s in the Ballantyne Village area. The atmosphere is sleek, yet cozy, and the menu features your typical American comfort foods like barbecue and burgers.
- Airports – Kensington is just 20 miles from Charlotte Douglas International Airport, one of the busiest airports in the country. It serves over 154 destinations with over 675 departures each day.
- Public Transportation – Uptown is approximately 11 miles away from Kensington, and the Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS) provides bus service there via nearby Rea Road. There is a park and ride at the nearby Saint Matthews Catholic Church.
- Major Roads and Interstates – Kensington is just minutes from Interstate 485, which means residents can be practically anywhere in the Charlotte area in no time. The neighborhood sits off the busy Ballantyne Commons Parkway. Other major roadways nearby include Rea Road to the east and North Community House Road to the west.
- Ballantyne Village – Shops, restaurants, and services are located just west of Kensington in Ballantyne Village. They include Panera Bread, Smoothie King, Burger 21, Moe’s Southwest Grill, Mellow Mushroom, TCBY Frozen Yogurt, 3H Shoppes, Massage Envy & Salon, FedEx, Abraham Joseph Fine Jewelers, The Cheeky Bean, Nouveaux, Verizon, Tinder Box Cigars, and Art in the Village.
- Stonecrest at Piper Glen – Just to the east of the community is Stonecrest at Piper Glen, which is practically within walking distance. In addition to a theater, it features stores and restaurants like Target, Michaels, ULTA, Harris Teeter, Chico’s, Dean & DeLuca, Flying Biscuit Café, Chick-fil-A, Claire’s, GameStop, GNC, and Smashburger.
- Blakeney – Kensington is just a few minutes north of another popular shopping spot, Blakeney. Stores here include Target, Talbots, Bath & Body Works, Banana Republic, CVS, Harris Teeter, J. Jill, Loft, Old Navy, Off Broadway Shoes, Le Cookery, Pandora Jewelry, and Kay Jewelers.
Entertainment, Nightlife & Things To Do
- Golf Club at Ballantyne – The Golf Club at Ballantyne resort is just minutes from the entrance of Kensington, and the public can make reservations any day of the year, up to 30 days in advance. In addition to the par 71, 6,740-yard course, the facility features a driving range, pro shop, and putting green.
- Regal Cinemas Stonecrest at Piper Glen 22 & IMAX – Kensington residents can almost walk to one of Charlotte’s nicest movie theaters. With 22 screens and an IMAX theater, Regal Cinemas Stonecrest at Piper Glen shows all the latest movie out of Hollywood.
- Lake Wylie – When you want a quick weekend getaway without having to drive for hours, Lake Wyle is just 20 miles from Kensington. Located along the North and South Carolina border, the 13,400-acre reservoir features over 325 miles of shoreline and is a popular spot for boating, camping, hiking, swimming, fishing, and other fun lakeside actives.
- William R. Davie Regional Park – Charlotte is home to dozens of parks, but the biggest and closest to Kensington is William R Davie. Its 107 acres include a dog park, basketball court, soccer fields, softball fields, a volleyball court, horseshoe pits, playgrounds, walking trails, a pond, picnic shelters, and more.
- Morrison Family YMCA – Kensington is just north of Morrison Family YMCA which offers something for the entire family. The 67,000 square foot facility sits on 90 acres of land, and members have access to all YMCA facilities in the Charlotte area. This particular location includes a pool and water park, 115 weekly exercise classes, a 4,000 square foot exercise room, a 3,000 square foot fitness studio, a cycle room, cardio and strength training equipment, child care, an indoor track, 3 dance studios, kids fitness programs, a preschool, a teaching kitchen, a wellness center, personal training, an outdoor track, picnic shelters, an art studio, sports fields, and much more.
Real Estate Information
The elegant homes in Kensington sit on lots that average half an acre and feature manicured lawns, well-maintained landscaping, and tree-lined driveways. You will find homes that start around 2,500 and range up to around 6,000 square feet, as well as sought-after features like hardwood floors throughout, finished basements, master suites on the main level, and two-story foyers. Prices start at just over $500,000. Most homes were built in 1999.
Homes for Sale in Kensington
Subdivision: KensingtonView Details
Subdivision: KensingtonView Details
The data relating to real estate on this website derive in part from the CarolinaMLS Internet Data Exchange program. Brokers make an effort to deliver accurate information, but buyers should independently verify any information on which they will rely in a transaction. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. Neither this website nor any listing broker shall be responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, or misprints, and they shall be held totally harmless from any damages arising from reliance upon this data. This data is provided exclusively for consumers' personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties they may be interested in purchasing. © 2019 CarolinaMLS