Welcome to Ardrey
Contact a Ardrey Neighborhood Expert Today
An award-winning, master-planned community with immaculate landscaping, stunning Charleston-style homes, and more amenities than you can imagine. It almost resembles a quaint beach town more than a community in one of the fastest-growing cities in the country. Welcome to Ardrey.
Some people use words like “happy” and “cheerful” when describing the Ardrey neighborhood, and when you visit, you will see why it is hard not to smile. From residents to the style of homes to the landscaping, Ardrey exudes Southern charm. Pastel-colored Charleston-style and Victorian homes sit along tree-lined streets with paved sidewalks and benches covering every inch.
Architecture is important here, but so is nature. The landscaping, which is handled by the homeowners’ association, is immaculate at all times. It almost feels like a movie set. When the neighborhood was developed, it was done so by cutting down as few trees as possible. There are also 12 parks and a 35-acre nature preserve on the premises.
Ardrey also happens to be a social neighborhood. Neighbors are always bumping into each other when they are out walking the dog, pushing the kids on the swings at the playground, or gathering for a community holiday event.
With all of this in mind, it almost feels like Ardrey is a small town all on its own, but there is so much more beyond its boundaries.
Ardrey may only be a decade old, but the land where it sits has a storied past. It began as farmland in the 1700s when European settlers came to the Charlotte area to build a new city around its fertile Piedmont soil and water supply. Eventually, the first gold rush in the United States took place in the city, but it was short-lived.
After the Civil War, Charlotte became a railroad town, and the new form of transportation left its mark on the city. Cotton and tobacco farming was no longer the only way to make a living. Textile manufacturing became the big business.
By the 1970s and 1980s, the textile business was mostly gone, but the banking and finance industries were here to stay. People began moving to the city to take advantage of new opportunities. Today, Charlotte is the second-largest financial center in the United States and one of the fastest-growing cities.
- Population: 690
- Ardrey students will attend top-rated Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools.
- The North Carolina Home Builders Association once awarded the neighborhood “Community of the Year.” It has also earned awards for its landscaping.
- Ardrey is a master-planned community that offers numerous amenities, including a 35-acre nature preserve. Other amenities include 12 smaller parks, a pool and clubhouse, playgrounds common areas, paved sidewalks, a dog park, and benches.
- Residents of Ardrey are not responsible for their own landscaping and lawn maintenance.
- The weather in the Ardrey area is what some call perfect – not too hot and not too cold year-round. In July, the average temperature is 78.5 degrees, and in January, it is 40.1 degrees.
- Ardrey residents can commute to some of Charlotte’s top employers, like Duke Energy, American Airlines, Wells Fargo, Bank of America, and Carolinas Healthcare System.
Ardrey residents have plenty of entertainment to choose from. An assortment of shops and restaurants are scattered around the community, providing something for every taste. Golf clubs, spas and salons, and parks and activity centers are also located nearby. Venture a little further outside the Ballantyne area and you find that Ardrey is not that far from some of Charlotte’s most famous attractions. Carowinds and Lake Wylie are less than 20 miles to the west, while Uptown is less than 20 miles to the north. Uptown is home to famous places like Bank of America Stadium, Discovery Place, the NASCAR Hall of Fame, and more.
- 131 Main – Just up the street in Blakeney is a local favorite, 131 Main. It is casual but sleek and serves slightly upscale versions of New American cuisine. You will find dishes like North Carolina Rainbow Trout and Maryland Style Crab Cakes on the menu, as well as the Barrel Cut Filet Mignon. The restaurant also offers an extensive wine list.
- Big View Diner – Everything is big at the Big View Diner, ranging from the food portions to the smiles on the faces of the friendly staff that greets you. Part old-school diner, part modern café, you will find an assortment of dishes on the menu, ranging from classic comfort foods like chicken pot pie and shrimp & grits to a little more elevated dishes like veal meatloaf and Mahi Mahi fish tacos.
- Cast Iron Waffles – One of the most unique restaurants in the Ardrey area is, by far, Cast Iron Waffles. It also happens to be one of the most popular. You will understand why when you taste one of its authentic Belgian Liege waffles. Enjoy a delicious coffee drink, tea, or a smoothie along with it. Gluten free options are available.
- Elwood’s Barbecue & Burger Bar – Burgers, barbecue, and beer. Three things almost everyone loves, and they all come together at Elwood’s. Located just minutes from Ardrey, the restaurant is a great place to bring the family (kids eat free on Sunday), have a drink with friends, or catch a Panthers game on the big screen.
- Flying Biscuit Café – Breakfast all day? Sounds like a good plan. And Ardrey residents can enjoy it every day at Flying Biscuit Café at Stonecrest. The restaurant is quickly becoming a Southern staple and is known for its delicious biscuits. Legend has it that each location’s baker makes 5,000 every single day. The restaurant serves other food, too, like sandwiches and salads.
- Airports – Ardrey is approximately 20 miles from Charlotte Douglas International Airport. One of the busiest airports in the country, it offers nonstop flights to over 150 destinations and is also an American Airlines hub.
- Public Transportation – The Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS) buses do not quite run as far south as Ardrey, but residents can still ride them into Uptown by taking advantage of the park and ride at Saint Matthews Catholic Church.
- Major Roads and Interstates – Ardrey is just a few miles south of Interstate 485, Charlotte’s perimeter. Other nearby major roadways include Rea Road, Ardrey Kell Road, and Community House Road.
- Blakeney – The closest shopping center to Ardrey is the outdoor mall Blakeney. It is home to stores like Harris Teeter, Target, PetSmart, Old Navy, Bath & Body Works, Marshall’s, HomeGoods, Victoria’s Secret, CVS, and more. There are also numerous restaurants, ranging from fast food to nice sit-down meals, and services located here.
- Stonecrest at Piper Glen – Ardrey is also just minutes from Stonecrest at Piper Glen. The shopping mall is home to multiple restaurants and stores, like Chico’s, Bonehead’s, Target, Harris Teeter, fab’rik, Michaels, Chick-fil-A, Apricot Lane, Smashburger, ULTA, and Soma. There is also a movie theater.
- SouthPark Mall – Head a little further north, and Ardrey residents can take advantage of some of the most upscale shopping in the Carolinas at SouthPark Mall. It is home to stores like Burberry, Hermes, Louis Vuitton, Kate Spade, Tiffany & Co, Tory Burch, Pottery Barn, Neiman Marcus, Dicks Sporting Goods, Apple, Crate & Barrel, Nordstrom, American Girl, Dick’s Sporting Goods, H&M, and so much more.
Entertainment, Nightlife & Things To Do
- Morrison Family YMCA – The Morrison family YMCA is less than a mile from Ardrey and a popular spot for families of all ages. You can swim and splash at the pool and waterpark. Take one of over 100 exercises classes or workout on your own in the ample space with the cardio and strength equipment. Have a picnic at a designated spot or drop your kids off for preschool, daycare, or the teen center. There is also a senior center for older adults. A dance studio, art studio, wellness center, and much more are also located here.
- Regal Cinemas Stonecrest at Piper Glen 22 & Imax – When it’s time to see the next Hollywood blockbuster, you can do so by heading a couple of miles north to Stonecrest. The large theater has several screens, including an IMAX, as well as plush stadium seating, concessions, and a game room.
- Sports Connection – Both kids and grownups can have a great time at Sports Connection, which is located just minutes from Ardrey. It features activities like bumper cars, laser tag, bowling, rock climbing, ropes courses, a flight simulator and more. The facility also hosts sports camps and clinics for kids throughout the year, as well as sports leagues for kids and adults.
- Golf Club at Ballantyne – The scenic Golf Club at Ballantyne is just minutes from Ardrey and an excellent place to spend a few hours or an entire day. The 6,740-yard, par 71 course is open to the public. You can register in advance for tee times online or over the phone. There is also a driving range, putting green, a pro shop, and a golf school on the premises.
- Lake Wylie – When you need a quick weekend getaway, but you do not want to spend hours in the car, Lake Wylie is the place to go. Just over 20 miles from Ardrey, the 13,400-acre lake features over 325 miles of shoreline, as well as plenty of opportunities for fishing, boating, and camping.
Real Estate Information
Prices for Ardrey’s over 350 homes typically fall within $450,000 to $650,000. You will find an assortment of Charleston, cottage, and Victorian-style homes built between the mid-2000s and 2010s. They typically start around 2,800 and range up to 4,500 square feet. Many of the homes feature covered porches, master suites on the main level, open floorplans, granite countertops, 10-foot ceilings, hardwood floors throughout, French doors, and breakfast bars.
Homes for Sale in Ardrey
No Listings Found.
The data relating to real estate on this website derive in part from the CarolinaMLS Internet Data Exchange program. Brokers make an effort to deliver accurate information, but buyers should independently verify any information on which they will rely in a transaction. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. Neither this website nor any listing broker shall be responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, or misprints, and they shall be held totally harmless from any damages arising from reliance upon this data. This data is provided exclusively for consumers' personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties they may be interested in purchasing. © 2019 CarolinaMLS