Welcome to McAlpine
Contact a McAlpine Neighborhood Expert Today
Surrounded by major roadways, shopping and dining, entertainment, and business opportunities, McAlpine is one of South Charlotte’s most sought-after and diverse communities. Pineville sits just west of McAlpine, Ballantyne to the south, the Carmel neighborhood to the north, and some of the area’s top golf and country clubs to the east. McAlpine is also just minutes from the North/South Carolina line and Lake Wylie, a large lake that is ideal for a day trip, staycation, or weekend getaway. There is just so much to see and do in the area.
Homes in McAlpine tend to be a little more affordable than other parts of Charlotte, and despite their busy surroundings, they sit on quiet streets with large lots and fenced-in backyards.
McAlpine is just under 12 miles from Uptown, and access to major roadways and bus service make commuting to the city’s top employers a breeze. For those who want to cut out the commute almost completely, the nearby Ballantyne Corporate Park is home to over 200 businesses.
Charlotte was founded in 1768 and named for Queen Charlotte of England. It remained mostly cotton and tobacco farmland through the Civil War, though it did serve as the site of the country’s first gold rush. The search for gold was short-lived, but the cotton crop flourished. During the second half of the 19th century, Charlotte became a railroad town which led to its first big industry boom: textiles. The city became the largest manufacturer and distributor of textiles in the Southeast. By the 1970s, the textile industry had died down, but finance and banking were on the rise. So was the city’s population. The 1980s and 1990s saw a population boom that refuses to slow down. Charlotte is one of the fastest-growing cities in the country, as well as the second-largest banking center in the United States behind New York City.
- Population: 6,000
- Public school students in McAlpine will attend Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools.
- Residents of McAlpine are within commuting distance of some of Charlotte’s top employers, including Harris Teeter, Duke Energy, Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Carolinas HealthCare System, and American Airlines.
- Carolinas HealthCare System Pineville is less than 2 miles from many of McAlpine’s homes.
- The South County Regional Branch of the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library System is just a few miles to the east of the community
- Charlotte is the largest city in North Carolina and the 20th-largest city in the United States.
Many of Charlotte’s top attractions are located in its Uptown area, which is just 12 miles north of McAlpine. These includes professional sports and entertainment venues, museums, and night clubs and bars. However, McAlpine residents do not even have to go that far to have a good time. From a weekend on the lake to a day at the biggest amusement park in the state, there is plenty to do closer to home. And shopping and dining opportunities are located in every direction.
- Viva Chicken – Viva Chicken has a few locations in North Carolina, including this one in the McAlpine area. The Peruvian rotisserie joint serves up delicious salads, sandwiches, wraps, and more, many of which are healthier than your average restaurant food.
- Midwood Smokehouse – Midwood Smokehouse also has a few locations in the Charlotte area, including one in Ballantyne. It is one of Charlotte’s most popular restaurants, serving up dishes like pulled pork sandwiches, tacos, BBQ plates, and so much more. Come learn why barbecue is a North Carolina tradition.
- Miro Spanish Grille – Voted the best Spanish restaurant in Charlotte almost every year since it opened in 1999, Miro Spanish Grille is an excellent place to experience tapas and other European-style cuisine. It would take at least a month of visits to make your way through the tapas menu!
- The Rusty Onion – Located inside the McAlpine neighborhood, The Rusty Onion is a local favorite. The pizzeria and pour house offers many delicious options for both takeout and dining in. Enjoy a specialty pizza or design your own, or choose a salad or sandwich instead. There are also a number of Italian entrees on the menu.
- Cabo’s Mexican Cuisine & Cantina – When McAlpine residents crave Mexican cuisine, they head to Cabo’s for delicious food and fantastic service. Enjoy authentic dishes like fajitas, Carne Azada, and tamales. The salsa, guacamole, and Pico de gallo are always fresh.
- Airports – McAlpine is just over 15 miles south of Charlotte Douglas International Airport, one of the busiest airports in the country. It offers over 720 daily departures to over 150 nonstop destinations.
- CATS – The Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS) provides bus service to major roadways in the McAlpine community, including Carmel, Pineville-Matthews, and Johnston Roads.
- Major Roads and Interstates – Pineville-Matthews Road forms McAlpine’s northern boundary, while Carmel and Johnston Roads run right through the center of the community. Interstate 485 runs through the southern end of McAlpine.
- Carmel Commons Shopping Center – The Carmel Commons Shopping Center is located on the northern end of the McAlpine community. It features dozens of restaurants, shops, and services. They include The Fresh Market, Party City, Pet Supplies Plus, Dilworth Mattress, The Jewelry Shop, GNC, Planet Fitness, and Pool Xperts.
- Carolina Place – When you need to run to the Mall, Carolina Place is just a minute or two from McAlpine in Pineville, NC. Stores here include Barnes & Noble, JCPenney, Belk, Dillard’s, Express, Macy’s, Lane Bryant, American Eagle, Sears, Yankee Candle, Rue 21, Bath and Body Works, and REI.
- Ballantyne Village – McAlpine is just north of the Ballantyne area, which means shopping is a quick drive away at Ballantyne Village. Shops here include 3H Shoppes, Abraham Joseph Fine Jewelers, Nouveaux, The Cheeky Bean, and Tinder Box Cigars. You will also find dozens of restaurants and services, like spas, salons, medical offices, and utility providers.
Entertainment, Nightlife & Things To Do
- The Golf Club at Ballantyne – South Charlotte is home to numerous golf courses and clubs, including the Golf Club at Ballantyne. The public facility features a PGA course with daily tee times, a pro shop, the famous Dana Rader Golf School, a Golf Channel Academy, and more.
- Sky Zone Trampoline Park – Just next to McAlpine, near the Carolina Place Mall, is a place where family members of all ages can enjoy a day of fun. The Sky Zone Trampoline Park features open jump sessions, a SkySlam court, a foam pit, and Ultimate Dodgeball games, and birthday and corporate parties are available.
- Lower McAlpine Greenway – McAlpine residents have access to the Mile Creek Greenways, a 5.8-mile walking trail that meanders throughout the area and includes the Lower McAlpine Greenway. Walk, jog, ride bikes, and get some exercise while you enjoy the sights and sounds of North Carolina nature.
- Carowinds – McAlpine is just over eight miles away from North Carolina’s favorite amusement park, Carowinds. Enjoy a day of thrill and family rides, Planet Snoopy, Dinosaurs Alive, live shows, restaurants, a water park, and more.
- Lake Wylie – The community’s proximity to the North/South Carolina border means you can spend a day or a weekend or even an entire week on vacation without traveling far from home. Lake Wylie is a 13,400-acre reservoir with 325 miles of shoreline. It’s a great place for boating, camping, fishing, and other fun water activities.
Real Estate Information
The residential areas of McAlpine are more mature and established than some other South Charlotte neighborhoods. Expect large grassy lots with mature landscaping and trees, quiet cul-de-sac streets, fenced-in backyards, and quality craftsmanship. Styles popular in the community include ranch, split-level, Dutch Colonial, traditional two-story, Cape Cod and other classics. Prices typically fall between the low $100,000s and low $300,000s.
- Walnut Creek
- Endhaven Elementary School
- McAlpine Elementary School
- Quail Hollow Middle School
- South Charlotte Middle School
- South Mecklenburg High School
Homes for Sale in McAlpine
No Listings Found.
The data relating to real estate on this website derive in part from the CarolinaMLS Internet Data Exchange program. Brokers make an effort to deliver accurate information, but buyers should independently verify any information on which they will rely in a transaction. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. Neither this website nor any listing broker shall be responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, or misprints, and they shall be held totally harmless from any damages arising from reliance upon this data. This data is provided exclusively for consumers' personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties they may be interested in purchasing. © 2017 CarolinaMLS