In honor of Memorial Day, we’ve compiled a list of our favorite things to bring to a barbecue, as provided by our team of full-time neighborhood experts. Whether you’re hosting the holiday cookout or showing up for the celebration, see the detailed list below to be sure you out-shine even the brightest of fireworks at this summer’s outdoor gatherings.
- Watermelon – No matter your age, there’s no one that doesn’t enjoy a fresh slice. It’s so easy to prepare, clean up and it’s also such a nostalgic treat for everyone! -Realtor®/Broker, Joan Goode
- Corn on the Cob – Throw it on the grill, and it’s ready to go. What’s easier than that? -Broker-In-Charge, Sarah Szczodrowski
- Chips & Guacamole – Being from California, avocados are a must for any family gathering. It’s also a great way to sneak in some vegetables amidst all the party treats! -South Office Manager, Michelle Duncan
- Potato Salad – It’s a summer staple that isn’t much fun to make but seems to go along with everything! – Office Administrator, Melanie Vise
- Deviled Eggs – I bring these things everywhere! They’re so easy and to pop in your mouth! -Eastover Receptionist, Bonnie Greenberg
- Banana Pudding – We had more than ten agents respond with this quintessentially southern summertime dessert as their BBQ must-have dessert. It’s the true front-runner, and with good reason, according to our team of experts!
- Peach Cobbler – Something with fruit is so refreshing for the Summer heat. – Realtor®/Broker, Micheal Nester
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches – The only thing that could make chocolate chip cookies better is ice cream, honestly…homemade, on a summer day, you can’t beat it! – Realtor®/Broker, Ashley McMillan
- Strawberry Pie – My husband’s grandmother’s recipe is to die for. It’s both refreshing and indulgent, and has become a real must-have for any summertime bbq we’re invited to. -Realtor®/Broker, Andi Morgan
- Realtor®/Broker Fran Miller goes one further with her strawberries and slices them with a bit of sugar and your choice of added flavoring – which she suggests Grand Marnier or brandy.
- Fruit Salad – The fresh cold fruit that’s available this time of year is sweet enough to be considered a dessert, combine them together and it’s practically cake! -Realtor®/Broker, Sarah Kennerly
- Brownies with Salted Carmel Frosting – They’re perfect: no mess, no utensils or plates required. -Relocation Director, Catharine Pappas
- Grilled Fruits – Sliced pineapple drizzled with Jet-Puffed Marshmallow cream or grilled peaches with rosemary and balsamic is our family’s favorites. -Realtor®/Broker, Eric Madara
- Ice cream sandwiches – Even if by the box, from the grown ups to the kids, everyone eats one! -Realtor®/Broker, Ducie Stark
- Homemade Ice Cream – It’s a commitment, but it’s one that pays off. You just can’t match the flavor when bought in store. -Realtor®/Broker, Suzanne Coddington
- Tres Leches Cake – Most people aren’t familiar with this dessert. I love bringing it to events and seeing others love the cake that’s our family’s real favorite! -Realtor®/Broker, Johana Troutman
- Beer – Need I say more? All jokes aside, the Charlotte beer scene has no better platform than the summer get-together. You can’t go wrong with anything NoDa puts out, personal favorite is Coco Loco. – Broker-In-Charge, Jimmy Rountree
- Tea – A sweet tea over ice with fresh lemon is always a crowd pleaser, especially with the moms! – Realtor®/Broker, Ruth Moniz
- Blueberry Lemonade – take any kind of lemonade you prefer and add fresh blueberries with a blueberry simple syrup. Adults: add vodka. Cheers! -Marketing Team Member, Sara Leeson