Whether you are looking for an agent to sell your family home, or you are looking for someone to help you find your next home, shopping for a real estate agent doesn’t have to be hard. We have some great tips to help you find the best real estate agent for your needs.
- Word of mouth or referrals. The number one way to find an agent is to ask your friends and family for a referral. Finding a good real estate agent is just like finding a good hair dresser, you will work with them many times over the years and want to find the best person to work with and for you. If you are new to an area or relocating to another area ask your agent for a referral. Dickens Mitchener agents can provide you with top agents all over the world through our LeadingRE network.
- Interview. Once you have narrowed your choices, interview the agents. Check their credentials and experience. Be sure they are licensed and designated as a REALTOR®, which means they are a member of the National Association of Realtors and follow the NAR’s code of ethics. Ask the agent if this is a part-time or full-time career. You may get better service from a professional who works in real estate full time. They will be more knowledgeable about the current market and trends.
- Experience matters. Choose someone who has at least 5 years of experience. This isn’t to say that someone with less experience won’t be able to give you the best service. They may have less clients and will be able to focus more attention on you. But, you may prefer someone who has more experience representing you and can help you out if an unusual circumstance arises.
- Find someone local. A local agent, one who works and lives in the community you are looking in, can give better insight into the best schools, commute times, etc. Ask for a list of recent transactions they have personally handled in the area you are looking. Give them your price range and ask if anything is available in the area. They should be able to let you know if you are going to find what you are looking for in your price range right away.
- Negotiation skills. Selling or buying a home will probably be the biggest transaction one will make in their lifetime. Ask the agent for a list of properties they have sold and check out the list price vs selling price. An agent with a high list to sales ratio will be a good negotiator for you. Don’t be afraid to ask hard questions of your agent. The way they answer you will be how they handle potential buyers. Choose someone who is professional and organized.
- Marketing strategy. Take a look at how the agent has marketed other listings in the area. Ask for a detailed marketing plan. There are many ways to market a home these days and you need to know how the agent plans to market your home. The best real estate agent will be able to give you an ethical, honest assessment of your property and whether or not any improvements are needed to help improve its value. If you choose an agent who does not give you any of this critical feedback, you may be unlikely to get the highest price for your home.
Detail is everything when it comes to real estate. Keep this list in mind when you are searching for the best real estate agent in your community. This will help find a lifelong real estate partner who can help your family for years to come.